Friday, October 14, 2011

Let them eat cake.

We are engaging in elaborate rituals of worship today.  The celebration actually began last night, as I softly sang words of love and appreciation and tearfully pondered all the blessings and changes that have taken place in my life through his presence.  Then the morning began with joyous words of grateful greeting and praise to the one who is so special, today and every day.  We will be eating traditional foods this afternoon, and offering gifts to show our devotion. And because we are overflowing with joy, we are inviting all our neighbors to join us in adoring him.

It's my youngest son's 8th birthday....oh worship the Josh. ;)

Don't freak out on me now. We aren't being blasphemous.  But I was thinking this morning about how the act of worship can seem strange and confusing to non-believers - and perhaps to many believers as well.  And I realized that a birthday celebration is one beautiful picture of what worship is.  We are celebrating Joshua today.  And like most parents, I am a little more focused today, a little more aware of how special he is.  I am taking the time to think about the day he was born and the unique aspects of this sunny funny boy that have made our family who we are today.  He has the best laugh in the house, for example. Infectious is the absolute best word for it...and indefatigable too. He laughs at everything.  He is full of motion and sunshine and he can't keep his hands to himself.  He has the weirdest leopard-spotted blond hair...people think I dyed it - I didn't. And He is a fearful and wonderful turbo-powered amalgamation of love and mischief-  simultaneously the most tender and the most trouble-making of my four boys. I adore him. I can't snuggle him enough. And I can't tell you what it means to me that at a sturdy eight years old, he will still fall asleep in my arms.  I'm so profoundly thankful that I'm his mom.   And look at that...  it's worship

Worship is focusing on the unique value of the worshipped. Worship is celebrating and rejoicing and being grateful for all the greatness of the worshipped.  Worship can take place in song, in thought, in snuggle-time, in conversation, in food, and in the gathering of others.  A birthday is a worship celebration of the special day of the birthday boy! Joshua is special today.  (okay, he's special every day but you know what I mean)  So really...when you think about it, worship isn't so strange or alien after all. We all do it - whether it's a birthday of a friend or loved one, a football game or concert, or even extolling the excellencies of the latest hit movie. 

Christians are to worship God above all else.  And if we focus on Him, even for only a few moments, it's not hard to see why.  If I can get excited today over celebrating one sweet little boy, how much more can I get excited about celebrating an infinite, Almighty God?  His unique value is without limit, and His special qualities defy comprehension. Every single day is new with Him! Every day He blesses His children with a new dawn, new mercies, and new wonders in Him to discover... It's like every day is a birthday! Celebrate!!

Psalm 108:1-4
My heart is steadfast, O God!
I will sing and make melody with all my being!
Awake, O harp and lyre!
I will awake the dawn!
I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples;
I will sing praises to you among the nations,
For your steadfast love is great above the heavens;
your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.

No comments:

Post a Comment